View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: drawing 4 or 5 in draw poker

well ty for your well thought out response BP. i however do not agree that you are giving very good advice this time.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, let me state that you shouldn't routinely draw
four or five when you are heads up (or even when the small
blind completes after a button limper) to your ace or king
unless you intend to pay off with a hand like 22A (except
when you know you can't possibly win).

[/ QUOTE ]
why would i feel a need to call a big bet with 22 here?(or something similar) i wouldn't have called a raise predraw with this trash so i wouldn't call now. unless i thought i could move them off their hand and if so i should have raised predraw.
are you suggesting that i need to protect my blind? i hope you realize that blinds no longer are your chips. blinds are gone, they are a necessary expense, forget them and you won't have to worry about calling with garbage to try and save them. habitual blind defenders are consistant losers. if you are trying to help players in this forum then you should not be advocating blind defense just for the sake of calling bets to be the table sheriff or something. if however the idea is to get more players to defend their blinds with garbage and improve YOUR win rate, then i agree whole-heartedly with you!!

[ QUOTE ]
It's psychologically
more difficult for some opponents to bluff into you when you
draw three instead of four.

[/ QUOTE ]
while this may be true. isn't the idea to draw 4 to an ace or king and have the same loose player try and bluff into your pair of aces or kings?(or better)

[ QUOTE ]
Now, suppose your hand is truly pathetic and you are not
heads up with the SB (if you were, even if your hand were
really pathetic, you could still draw three to your top two
cards, even with as low as something like T9, since the SB
can often have a hand like AT or KQ and you don't want to
get outplayed if you make a better no pair unless you want
to pay off with AK as well!).

[/ QUOTE ]

all that i can see that you are saying is that you are worried about being bluffed off a pair, any pair, after the draw. why would i want to draw 3 to T9 and have to worry about calling a big bet with TT or 99, when i could very well be up against AA, TTA, KK, QQ or even 6633? why not draw 5 and see if you can make a hand? why am i worried about being outplayed here? i have a trash hand. if i am worried about being outplayed i should raise predraw and play the hand from there. if you are suggesting that we need to protect our blinds to this extent then you should be more proactive about doing it. passivity will just have you "get outplayed" more often.

not trying to be incredibly antagonistic here but, some of the ideas you have put in here just don't seem to work out for me.
btw, i still don't believe that you are making $1K/week playing 1/2 draw at paradise. without posts like the one stating this i think i would be better able to not want to dive in and take swings at this kind of stuff [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]