View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: So what the crap do I do now?

That is a tough spot. The call preflop is standard, and reraising an UTG raiser just isn't smart.

The flop's a tricky situation - your hand is fairly strong and vulnerable, inclining you to bet, but at the same time there is a possibility of you being a huge dog, most likely to UTG+1. I think both betting and checking here are reasonable - betting can usually help you find out where you are as UTG+1 usually raises with an overpair (although I'll often bet less, maybe 250), and checking can allow you to escape cheaply if there's ton of action behind you.

Problem is, this is a $55, and there are players who will treat 9x and any lower PP here like the nuts and be willing to go all of the way with them, meaning you are losing a good deal of equity by checking.

Another consideration to check raising is that you may not get any action - UTG could have whiffed AK or whatever, any may not want to cont bet with 3 other players in the hand, while button and CO can have whatever, and half the deck kills your hand (JQKA or diamond).

So to sum up my random rambling, my plan on the flop would be this:
Bet 250 on the flop, fold to an UTG raise, call a CO and button raise and pray they have 9x.

My instincts tell me to bet the turn (b/c UTG usually raises with an overpair, pot is massive w/ CO and button so they should push with a 4), but my brain tells me to check and be ready to fold to some action. If it's checked around, I proceed to kick myself for not betting and hope for a good river; if UTG bets I probably fold, if CO or button bets I probably push hoping for 9x again. If there's a bet and a call I'm probably out of the hand regardless.

Hope that helps, but I wouldn't sweat it - situations like this aren't very common.