View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Ever fold KK preflop?

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
Raising them PF has actually been -EV for me

This is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is this not true? When a hand only wins only 28% of the time, raising should be -EV with. Actually, I guess with 4 players, you could argue that it is +EV. But only barely.

[ QUOTE ]
You call this cap. If the flop comes ace-high and it comes to you 3-bet then you can definitely fold. But folding this preflop is very, very bad. Look at it this way, if it was raised and 3-bet and MP2 just called, you'd be capping, right? Right? (I'm balling up my fists, here.) You'd cap it, RIGHT?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I really would've capped, too. But since it was 4 to me, and given the fact that my KK had already been busted earlier (numerous times, and Jack Frost has been nipping at me)

[ QUOTE ]
If you've been running so cold that it's affecting the way you play hands, you're on tilt. The kind of tilt that stays with you while you're asleep and you're still on it when you come back to the table the next day. You have to take some time off, dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've long gotten past the "curse you!!! <punch wall>" phase. Resigned acceptance is really where I'm at now. I guess I'm just expecting to get sucked out. Is that tilt as well? I actually did take some time off. 5 days, in fact. I did end up overall 15BB after last nights session, but as someone else said here before "Variance really screws with your head". I was really curious if folks let their "cold-snaps" factor in their decisions. Sounds like you shouldn't.

It's kinda funny, because I really am still a newby here (hence my stupid questions), but since I've started playing, I've increased my bankroll by 85% (can't give it in BB's because I've moved up 2 levels since starting). So it's not like I'm losing my own money, I'm really playing with everyone elses money at this point, and I would need to lose a lot before I actually start dipping into my initial investment. So this really shouldn't be affecting my decisions all that much. I guess at the beginning it was through a combination of luck, blind luck, and playing against guys that were much worse than me that I did so well. Then I found this place, read SSHE, found a bunch of leaks and plugged them up, tightened up my game, and then whammo: negative variance hits which makes you question everything you do.

From what you're all saying, you don't let the "cold-streak" affect your decisions.