View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: dear God when will it end?

The tip jars on the counters at Starbucks aren't there to tempt those of you who normally don't tip to tip. They're there because a good number of regular customers like to tip. Its become such a part of their everyday routine, that they just tip the dollar no matter what. Now, if you wanna look at the tip jar, and be like, LOL not in a million years, that's up to you. But if you think, for a second, that any of us that work at Starbucks are gonna give up free money - especially this time of year - you've gotta be outta your goddamn mind.

Customers aren't expected to tip. Sure, the baristas would like you to tip, but Starbucks doesn't pay horribly for the kind of work we do, so its not like we're struggling for our tips. Tips are beer money. Tips are - hey, you're cute, here's a buck. Or, hey, you're always polite, make conversation with me, and make me feel like Im not just another customer... here's $.50 everyday. If you went to the same McDonalds everyday for a month, do you think Miguel would go to the trouble of chatting with you, getting your name, knowing what you liked to eat... even having it ready before you were done paying?

People tip at Starbucks because Starbucks generally takes care of its regular customers. I've even had people aghast that our credit card reciepts didnt have a line for them to tip on.

Not putting out that cup is akin to saying no to an extra $1.50/hr (or more, depending on the location of the store) per person in every store. Why should the employees turn that down because some people want to look down on it?

yasher