Thread: Cold Calling
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 03:20 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Cold Calling

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are completely forgetting about "floating". I got the term from a Mike I. post but it's been something I've been doing for a little while now without really realizing it.

It's a move that (I think) works better in NL than limit (though there are times where it's applicable to limit), but is powerful against the right opponents. It's pretty much cold-calling a raise against a relatively weak player with the intention of stealing the pot in a later round. You're really just betting on your opponent to miss his hand, and if you call with a hand with big implied odds, you also can make money by hitting your miracle hand and getting your opponent to stack off. So even though your hand itself may not have much equity, if you incorporate your position, fold-equity and implied odds in, it might be profitable to cold-call every once in a while with a junky hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Floating loses alot of effectiveness on many LL tables as you will likely have to go to a showdown to win.

If one is having trouble with why not to coldcall in general, I wouldn't recommend learning about floating yet.

b