View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: One year ago today, I...

One year ago about this time:

I was a 5 months into my online poker hobby, playing 2 tables without rakeback on a 19 inch CRT.

I had one early MTT cash on Prima for $1200 that helped me get started and proved I was a star in the making. My formula for success here included picking up AA on the first hand of a rebuy and stacking two people, playing tighter than a thing that is tight, being the short stack with 25 left (20 paid), winning 7 all ins in a row, luckboxing my way to 3rd place.

Deposited $100 into Party, because that was the place to be. Couldn't decide what kind of poker to play, so I split my time between .5/1 ring games and $11 SNGs.

Set a goal to play 100 $11s, because that was what I needed to determine if I was a winning player. ROI of something like 15%, so of course I'm a winning player but...

I ran better at ring games. Built roll up to $1200, enough to start playing 2/4 last December. Clearly this what where I should be.

At this point, I had not met any 2+2ers, nor had I really contributed anything of value to the forums. I sucked at posting interesting hands.

So... since then:

Ran well early in the year at 2/4, confirming that I was a winning player. Limit poker was my calling.

Hit my first patch of Variance in February, breaking even at 2/4 over 10,000 hands!!!!!

Thought limit poker sucked.

Played a $22 SNG one night in February to break up the monotony. Took 1st. Nice, that makes up for some lost BBs at 2/4

Played 1 $22 SNG each night for the next 5 nights. Took 1st each time. On the 7th night, instead of resting I played one more $22 - took second. Started having serious second thoughts about limit ring as my calling...

Got back into reading the STT forum. Stopped playing ring games and started to focus on SNGs. Played 100 $22s, and riding the wave of my initial heater I finished with a ROI of something like 55%. Cleary, I was a winning player and should be playing SNGs full time.

Continued playing the $22s. Tasted variance yet again, but still ran well.

Managed to score my second free lunch from a 2+2er, Scuba Chuck. Took [censored] from my wife about meeting strange men on the internet and letting them buy me lunch. Had a good time, Scuba is a very thoughtful guy.

Lunch conversation helped me formulate some plans. Decided to pursue coaching, but of course my desired coach was already retired [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

At some point around here, I picked up rakeback and made a very small amount of money compared to most others around here. Also picked up a 2001fp. Started 4 tabling SNGS.

My wife and I had a son in April. Life changed. A lot. Seriously.

Continued on, moving up and down between the $22s, $33s, and $55s for the next few months during my "limited" play time.

Attended the STTFHUC, with the goal of not making a fool of myself. I think I succeeded. Learned that Lacky is the man. Was a bit suprised that the ratio of cool, quality people:moerans was as high as it was. Had a very good time.

Developed my skills in a variety of games. I believe now I can somewhat competently play LHE, PLHE, NLHE, Stud high, and Stud/8.

Managed a little time to work on MTT game. Added multiple >$1k cashes in $20-50 buyin tournaments.

Post a lot more now than I did a year ago on the forums. I'm not positive, but I think occassionally I even say something people might find useful. Still suck at posting interesting hands.

And as the year winds down, I find myself completely comfortable 4-tabling the $55s. I'm here to stay for a while, taking shots at the $109s when running well. Knowing me, I'll stay at the $55s longer than I should.

Playing poker this year, I've made roughly 40% of my annual salary from my real job. Not bad for a hobby.

As for the coming year...

It will be interesting, I'm sure. I'm about to lose my real job. Very possibly in January, maybe February. May end up living the life of a poker pro for a while, we'll see. I would prefer to keep it as a secondary income stream, but I may not have a choice in the matter.

At some point I plan to learn Omaha and Omaha/8.

Would like to get back into MTT play when my son starts sleeping through the night.

Should probably score rakeback again.

Pick up another monitor shortly, start playing more tables.

Contribute more to these fine forums.

Ship it.