View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Mathematical explanation of having advantage with big stack

There are some good reasons that can be found for playing behind a small stack as well as a large stack. With a small stack, the only mathematical advantage that I can think of has to do with the edge you get when you go all-in (in limit as well as nl)because you get to stay in the hand for a smaller price than others are paying. Nevertheless, you still win less when your hand stands up, so I personally think much of this edge is negated. It is one way of limiting your loses, however.

With the larger stack, you have the ability to really lean on people and take down small pots by using your chips as a weapon. You simply can't do any of that with a small stack.

FWIW, I sometimes play with a small stack in higher NL games (and often find myself in this condition in tournaments) and don't have a problem with it. I know I can push certain hands and get no callers with a small stack (usually after the flop) because there is no payoff for an opponent's drawing hand; and preflop I am often able to steal a small pot because the other players assume I have been waiting to get a very good hand before going all in - often I haven't.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]