View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Given the $10,000 choice.....

S'pose it depends.

I mean, if I just casually entered some $100 tournament and won the choice, yeah, I'd take the ten grand and be done with it. (In fact, I read that this was also Moneymaker's first choice.)

But, if I always wanted to play the main event, and entered a satellite with the explicit goal of winning the buy-in, I guess I'd go with the buy-in.

But, I have to ask myself why I'd be doing the latter in the first place. It would seem that either I just wanted to have the experience of playing the big game for some expense, or I'd have an overinflated assessment of my own poker skills.

I'm hoping I'll have a sound enough head on my shoulders to stick with the former reasoning.

I mean, if I win $10K, in a tournament, I might be inclined to enter another (cheaper) tournament like that again. If I kept winning or at least making the final table, then yeah, maybe it'd be worth a shot to try the bigger game. After all, the $10K win would no longer be a unique experience in my life, so there'd be more where that came from. (I'd hope.) On the other hand, if I didn't trust myself to win another $10K prize small tourney, why would I trust myself to even cash in the main event?