View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: A Refutation of Determinism

[ QUOTE ]
No, no, no, no, no.

First off, if determinism is true, we have to rethink our position on justice. Perhaps the correct thing to do to a criminal in some situations is try to correct him (imagine that!) rather than brutally punish him.

[/ QUOTE ]

If determinism is true, we don't need to (nor can we) rethink our position on anything. What are you correcting the criminal for? What did he do wrong? And how can you "try" to correct him? You'll either do it or you won't, but you certainly won't have any say in the matter.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Believing in determinism may lead to choices that are practically irrational (drawing to a the low end of a straight), as well as morally deplorable (socking the dealer when your straight hits and you lose to the high end).

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, did you pull that right out of your ass? DETERMINISTS DON'T DO THIS! It DOESN'T make you insane or angry or deadly or nihilistic or any of that. I don't know why people think determinism is dangerous, and I think it's because they can't think about reality clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say determinists would do that - I said they might. I also didn't say determinism makes you insane or angry or deadly or nihilist, but if you believe in determinism, what difference does it make anyway? It doesn't make any sense to be angry or nihilist because it doesn't make any sense to be anything; nothing matters because everything is what it will be, and that's it.