View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Please teach me how to win at poker

I have some thoughts on this kind of hand at 5/10. I have struggled with these situations at this level, but finally I have concluded this: Jason Pohl says that the only climate in which loose-passives thrive is where their opponents are overaggressive. Meaning, in a hand like this, where you fire twice and then call the river bet, you are helping the loose-passive (the worst player in the game) maximize against you. Instead, Pohl suggests, wait to flop a pair and value bet the heck out of it.

On this particular board, I think your turn bet is necessary because many people peel flops like this, and he could have had a flush draw. But on the river, you can fold. Although he could be bluffing a worse hand (missed flush is really all I can think of), representing the made flush, this check/call, check/call bet line is usually indicative of a J with a medium-bad kicker or pp or smaller piece which villain thinks is probably good but doesn't want to spend too much to get to SD. I have made a practice of calling much worse river bets than this (which I no longer do), so I don't think this is a terrible call, but I agree that you have to lay this down on the river unless you have a reason to suspect he's fos.

M