View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 01:20 PM

Default Re: what does \"outplay\" mean?

I usually restrict "outplaying" an opponent to mean I generally know what he has and what he's thinking quite a bit more than he knows what I have and what I'm thining, and can extract extra or lose less during the hand because of it.

For example, if I know he's got an over-pair I'll tend to NEVER slow-play since I may get in a few extra raises along the way. Or if I figure he's bluffing or tends to bluff way too much I'll just call to snag the extra river bet; or raise him light to move the hangers-on.

I don't use "outplay" to mean "play better" in a general sense. With this definition you cannot "outplay" the guy checking and calling blind to the river, even though you are clearly playing better.

I didn't see the finals, but using my definition the Pistons didn't outplay LA just because they are the better team and could say rebound and shoot better, but they "outplayed" them if they successfully nullified some LA strength such as making Shak shoot from 8' instead of his prefered 6', or exaggerated their strength such as positioning before the shot so as to get an extra half step on the likely fast break.

My definition does NOT necissarily mean "making a move" such as Brunson suggests, but it can mean that at times.

- Louie