View Single Post
Old 12-13-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Call the Flop? with AK and no help?

[ QUOTE ]
In a 5+.50 I would have raised more than 60 before the flop with AK and 2 limpers. I probably would have raised 100 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was still early in the tournament, so you had no betting pattern established. You bet the "conventional wisdom" 3X. The trouble with that is three-fold: 1) Because it IS conventional wisdom, everyone knows it. 2) It implies a reasonably strong hand, not Big Slick so, in effect, you were slow playing without being sure of having the nuts. 3) Since it WAS early, 3X is peanuts compared to stacks and has little or no effect.

Opening bets should be varied. Sometimes 2X sometimes 3X, sometimes up to 6X, but mostly 3-5X. I don't think your initial bet was the problem. The problem was that he flopped a pair, with second highest kicker. He should have bet subtantially more at that point (say about a third to a half the pot) and you should have folded then, instead, he slow played (or played scared which is my assumption).

When the K dropped, he had you. In his place I would have taken you all in at that point.

You were destined to lose money here. Had the nine come on the turn, and the K on the flop... ah well!