View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 11:52 AM

Default Re: PokerRoom (and skins) Points

I just got done doing the initial bonus at Pokerroom and going over the numbers, I wasn't all that impressed. Once I realized that playing at $1/$2 was going to take FOREVER, I switched to $2/$4. You build points nicely at that level, but the rake is pretty high. I went over the numbers and in some games it can be as high as 8%. I want to do a further analysis and compare it to Absolute, Party, and Stars, but my gut feel is their rake is excessive, the 40% reloads only bring it down to tolerable. I'm guessing my numbers will show I can do better elsewhere with bonus and unmentionable combos.

Quality of games is a totally different issue. I can generally tear up any $1/$2 game, not so here. Winnable, but rough. Could have just been varience though. The real story is $2/$4. Full table, there are some very good players. As mentioned above, a lot of TAGs. Pick your tables carefully. Short-handed is a different story. Potentially profitable, be prepared for some violent bankroll swings. In the 5-handed games, there are some of the craziest players I have ever seen. VP$IP of 80%+, bet or raise to the river on any two cards. They just don't care. Saw one guy go up $300 in one hour, only to lose it the next. Since they never fold, be prepared to lose a lot to river cards, even with what appear to be great hands. If you can isolate one of these maniacs, there's profit potential, get at a table with two, be prepared for a long night. (I can't prove collusion, but I think it's possible here, and I've never said that about anywhere else.)

In short, I got out just short of even with the bonus, plus the PSO signup bonus of a copy of Poker Academy. Given the nature of the rake and the Wild West atmosphere, I'm not sure if I'll be back. I think there are easier pickings, but might give it a go again with nothing better to do and a nice deposit bonus. (At least 40% 10x.) I'm just going to be very picky in my table selection. You have been warned.