Old 12-12-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Most Hated Athelete

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rickey Henderson.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when I get to share my fav baseball story...

Henderson is playing on the Mets with John Olerud, and asks him why he wears a batting helmet to play in the field...John tells him about the brain surgery he had in college or something like that. Henderson says..., "there was guy I played with in Seattle who did the same thing." Olerud says, "yeah, that was me...we were teammates in Toronto too."

I may have messed up the teams in the re-telling of the story, but the nuts of the story is classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never happened ... its an urban legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the quote of the week in SI... i think that lends it some credence

[/ QUOTE ]

If the search function worked for this site ... This story has been debunked with links many times over. It was not the quote of the week in SI, it was "quoted" in a story about Ricky Henderson. I believe this story ran in early 1994. Anyhow, the same story explained the quote was commonly reported as fact, but that it was actually one of a number of legends that has grown due to the fact anyone who knows Henderson, knows this is something he COULD say.

The story also goes on to point out other Henderson "quotes," both real and imagined. Again, the point of the story was that the guy has been around baseball so long and that he has developed his own legends.