View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: re-read super system

how did this post become the checkraising thread?

anyway, lately i too am questioning alot of my preflop standards and one of them concerns suited connectors. you obviously should not be playing these hands up front especially if people are raising pots. these hands have very little equity and if you cannot stand to a raise you are simply losing money in the long haul.

recently, i was watching a friend who has been playing professionally for 18 years. the game was pretty loosepassive which makes suited connectors all that much more valuable. he was sitting in late position about MP3 or so, 3 people limped in and he folded 68s. I couldn't believe this because I would never fold such a hand in a game like this and questioned him about it. he gets easily insulted when i start questioning plays he makes, but im not trying to insult him, im simply trying to learn from him. nevertheless, he didnt go into depth with his logic, but he said that you go broke playing these hands.

i had to think about all of this for a while and came to the conclusion that these onegappers arent necessarily going to make you go broke, but its that hes an ultrarock and adjusts his playstyle accordingly. im a much more aggressive player, so playing hands like this should prove +ev to me in the long run, but -ev to him. he has to play a trap game because whenever he bets everyone folds. despite this somewhat odd strategy he does very well when the game is soft.

another problem with these small suited connectors is that if your game is really loose and people are limping in with all sorts of garbage, it is entirely easy for you to lose to flush over flushes. playing these hands really is context dependant and you should adjust your starting requirements accordingly as you should with every hand.

a 3rd problem with these hands is that if your table is filled with weak players, you simply arent going to maximize your profits with these hands when you are lucky enough to hit. many weak players shut down after the flush card comes on the river no matter how strong they are or how well you disguised your hand.