View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 12:17 PM

Default Re: playing mid suited connectors or one gappers in nl

I think it just depends on the people who you are playing with. I play 2-5 NL and the variety of play day to day can differ greatly. If there are not many raises before flops I will play suited connectors down to 78 in late position. It also depends on your style of play. If you are a rock and only wait for premium flops for you to put any money into the pot then playing suited connectors that low will probably cause you to lose more money than you will win.

However if you tend to have good reads on certain players and are not afraid to fire some money into the pot with a small piece of the flop or no piece of the flop then it could be productive while you wait for premium starting hands as long as you do not get carried away.

I sat and watched my friend who is generally not a great player, he bluffs quite a bit and does not do it very well, he dumped $350 into a pot out of position on a stone cold bluff and the person called him on it. He limped in, bet on the flop, on the turn, and on the river and was called everytime. You need to have self control and know when your bluff is going to be beat. I personally believe that reraising a bet is superior than betting out of position when the flop misses you and you think the person you are heads up with shows weakness.