View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 PM

Default a different view

obviously its bad because its taking money out of the poker economy, etc. but i think it may actually be helping me.

about 5 times a day i get the gambling itch. and by itch i mean massive uncontrollable compulsion. in the past what i would do is fire up my regular games and go at it for 10-15 minutes, and usually book a small winner. seemingly +ev, but not necessarily. the problem is im not always in the "working" state of mind when this happens. sometimes im hungry, sometimes im tired, sometimes im shitfaced. and like i said im usually in the mood to gamble it up.

if i get stuck fast the short session can turn into a long one, which can wind up being a long -ev one depending on the exact variables involved. but even if it doesnt it might end up throwing off my sleep or meals or studying, or whatever. which only hurts my playing in the long run.

but now instead of playing i load up bj and play $15 or whatever. which doesnt seem exciting but does the trick for me (so far). even though playing lower stakes poker doesnt. i think it has something to do with the speed of the action, rapid fire results/decisions instead of folding and waiting for half the table to time out.

so i avoid the bad sessions and play basically a breakeven game even considering my ridiculous double downs. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]