View Single Post
Old 11-08-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Shorting the US dollar

"Im not sure I see your point here....but gold was up about 60% from its '76 lows by Jan 1978. Are you saying that if a bull market happens fast that thats a bad thing? Are you saying that if it collapses fast that thats a bad thing? Think of traders who were long on the way up and short on the way down."

I don't think that gold going up or down fast is necessarily a good or bad thing, what I stated was more or less an observation of the yearly average prices. From the data I have gathered the gold market in the 70s started shooting up rapidly beginning in 1977 and peaking around mid 1980.

I've been meaning to delve deeper into the statistics I've gathered so that I can get a clearer picture. Right now I'm only looking at the yearly averages. (I've been meaning to get into the monthly changes over the past couple of decades but I've been really busy doing engineering work) Either way, from the data I've gathered so far it seems that when the gold starts to take off it can only sustain the huge upswing for about 3-5 years and then falls back down over about the same time period.

As of now, we haven't seen the +100% upswing it had back in the day. Do you think it hasn't really taken off yet and we could see the price hit 700 by 2008?