View Single Post
Old 08-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Open limping the button w/K9o? Still trying to draw a bright line...

I will limp KK or AA preflop in 2 situations: 1st in, hoping an aggro player behind me will raise so I can 3-bet.

Or.. on the button with the hopes of a blind raising me so I can 3-bet.

I personally think that the way you are approaching this lends to a "weak-tight" mentality, which by all means is not bad and there are many of those types of players in this forum who are very succesful. I absolutely agree with "If its worth playing, its worth a raise" Obviously this doesn't apply universally to all cards in all positions, but in general. When it comes to playing against the blinds, I want people to have 0 read on me because I will be raising 78s all the way up to AA.

I also don't agree with your line of thinking that you should try to keep the pot small in order to manipulate odds later. If you are limping the button against the 2 blinds you are making a 5 dollar call into a 7 dollar pot(assuming 5/10). You now have the possibility that a better hand will raise you & that you will be HU, likely dominated, with $10 into a $25 pot.

When you raise, you are putting 10 into a 7 dollar pot(with the hopes of taking it down immediately), but assuming your scenario of fishy call stations, you are likely to be looking at a 30 dollar pot postflop, likely with the best hand & position on 2 terrible opponents who you know you outplay postflop. K9o is also an EASY hand to get away from, but still has some showdown value UI. I think this may go back to what I was saying above about play styles, but I would much rather be in the second scenario than the first, especially against opponents that I will outplay post-flop.