Thread: Yahoo News
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Yahoo News

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The dreams of online players are embodied by Chris Moneymaker and Greg Raymer, who stunned the traditional poker world by stepping from the obscurity of the Internet ranks and walking off with the coveted World Poker Series titles

[/ QUOTE ]
Even disregarding them calling it the "World Poker Series", I find this quote pretty obnoxious because Raymer was not in the "obscurity of the Internet". He was a very successful and well-respected player who played heavily in live games. I remember when I was in college, I would watch him play in the $5-5 pot limit at Foxwoods and would hear about how I sould avoid playing against him because he is such a great poker player. If they want to say that he also played online and qualified for the WSOP (or WPS to them, I guess) online, then that would be very true and relevant to their story. But describing him as if he is some kid that no one had heard of who played online and got lucky and won a wsop seat really isn't accurate and these articles give that impression a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course they do, and I would probably do the same. Why do you think PS has them both on the commercial saying I turned $10 into a Million or whatever. The true poker player knows that he didn't just sit down with $10 and say "What's this game?" and then all of a sudden he's a millionaire. How good of a marketing ploy (or news story) would it be to say "I played 4 years at low limits live, then played online and qualified because I was a good player, then went on to win the WSOP". Im sitting on my couch thinking thats way too much work at that point. But $10 into $1 mill sounds good to me, sign me up!