View Single Post
Old 05-25-2005, 12:16 AM

Default Re: The Contender Season Finale

[ QUOTE ]
Congrats Suited on your bet, and making the threads each week to talk about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to everyone who echoed this sentiment. This show was called, "The Best Show That Nobody Is Watching," and I appreciate being able to come here and discuss this show with everyone.

I thought that tonight's fight was amazing and was the perfect ending to the series. Sergio was a warrior and fought like a man seizing an opportunity. I feel very sorry for Manfredo, he fought hard and was beaten by a better fighter. (It looks like his wife is pregnant, so his life can't be all that bad.)

Gomez' fight was amazing as well. I hate to see what this guy is going to do when he fights in his own weight class. I think that Jesse is the most talented of the bunch and needs to decide to take things seriously. One of the things about Jesse that was on Yahoo, but not NBC: After he beat Jonathan Reid in the first round, he gave Reid and his family his winner's share from the fight because they had a baby on the way.

I am going to guess that they didn't chop. I think that all of the fighters who fought today were probably paid more than they had ever made in their life. I know that the winner of the People's Choice bout received $200,000 so I imagine that the losers were paid pretty well also.

I am disappointed in NBC's decision to ignore Najai Turpin. They did exactly the minimum for him. Five seconds at the end of his episode and then setting up a trust for his daughter that they haven't pushed since. There was no mention of him by anyone other than Sergio (the first words out of mouth after victory, "Rest In Peace, Najai Turpin.") I felt like he was the elephant in the room that no one was willing to acknowledge.

The show was amazing and I hope that there is a 2nd Season. I was touched so much by the show because all of them were struggling and fighting to give their families a better life, and I am going through a similar thing. The decision to show this side of the fighters, to allow us to get to know their familes, and their struggles was what drew me in to this show.

Again, thanks to all of you for allowing me to discuss this with you on a weekly basis.

-Sixes