View Single Post
Old 09-06-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: What should I expect from my bankroll growth ?

[ QUOTE ]
Because it is only $10, when my bankroll climbs to $11 (like it is right now), it doesn't seem like a huge gain, but if I had a $10,000 bankroll and it climbed by the same percentage, I would be happy (since that would be a $1000 climb...)

So I guess I am just wondering what to expect... Should I be happy if I come away from the table after 4 hours of play (at the .05/.10c table - and I only play one table) up only $1 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something that has helped me a lot...stop thinking about $$, start thinking about bets. In those terms, making $1 at a .05/.10 table is the same as making $1,000 at a 50/100 table, 10BB. If you make that at 4 hours of single-tabling (roughly 200 hands online), then you're making 5BB/100 hands, a very respectable winrate at any limit.

Thinking in terms of BB instead of $$ also helps one emotionally divest oneself from the stakes. Instead of thinking about, "my money," going into the pot, you're thinking about, "some bets," going into the pot. Not to be too presumptive, but when you're in a difficult financial situation you're going to be nervous about losing money, and that's going to make you play scared at any level; at nano-limits you might be able to get away with playing scared, without realizing you're doing it.