View Single Post
Old 02-09-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: U-G-L-Y UGLY!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not very good at the math aspect, so what would I do to determine if the call is +EV or not? Would you have folded this turn??

[/ QUOTE ]

you can call 150 to win a pot that is 640 + whatever you think redhead will call on the river.

redhead has 730 left. assuming you have 4 outs, and that redhead has the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and will call a river allin:

you get 150/(640+730)=.109... that is- you need a 10.9% chance of winning to clear your implied odds. 4 outs out of 46 unknown cards (we are assuming he has 1 heart)=4/46= 8.6%. thus you don't have odds and should fold.

a couple notes about this: 1. redhead will not always call an allin- especially if he does not have the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. what this means is that your implied odds are not as good as we assumed.

2. since redhead might not have the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], and therefore will sometimes fold, you could concievably successfully bluff either the turn or river and be successful sometimes. I'm not recommending this at all. My guess is that pushing either the turn or river is definitely -EV. but it's something to keep in mind. the worse your implied odds are, the better your bluffing odds are my guess is that in this situation, your implied odds for calling are better than your bluffing odds.

3. you are sometimes winning, and the villain will sometimes check the river. i have no idea how often. you have to have a read on the player to have any idea.

so, there are 3 scenarios- 1. the villain is winning and will call an allin. 2. the villain is winning and will fold to an allin. 3. you are winning and the villain will fold to an allin.

in situation 1: folding is best, calling is only slightly worse, and pushing is terrible
in situation 2: pushing is best, folding is OK, and calling is bad.
in situation 3: calling is best. pushing is only slightly worse, and folding is very bad.

which situation do you think you are in most often?

keep in mind, that even if the answer was situation 2, it would need to be by a wide margin to make pushing right, as you lose your whole stack 92% the time you push in situation 1.

having no read, I would probably call, and fold to a significant river bet. i think that folding is only slightly worse.