View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 03:32 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Bankroll Psychology - my unusual problem

So basically you really want to move up limits and make more, so you have more to invest?

[ QUOTE ]
Once money is in my investment accounts it is untouchable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, this is how I see my bankroll. I can only touch that which is above my operating BR. However, that doesn't mean you have to leave the full BR on a site. But given your feelings toward busting out, it's something to consider to leave it in.

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, i feel like i'm doing a shitty job of treating poker like an investment in its own right. Whenever I have a substantial chunk of money sitting in non-interest bearing poker account when I have stocks I want to buy or funds to add money to, I feel like it is a waste and pull it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not treating poker as a long term investment. You're treating it like a shortterm deal.

[ QUOTE ]
thinking in the back of my mind, "this is only a small part of my winnings, it's ok to lose it."

[/ QUOTE ]

This line lends itself to you might also be pulling it out out of fear of losing it all back. Realize the money you pull out of your accounts is part of your 'tool' of the trade. It's what helps you move up and sustain swings.

[ QUOTE ]
First, I hate feeling bad when I go through a losing streak and drop one of these "short bankrolls". Second, I feel like I am stunting my growth to higher limits/buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are stunting your growth to higher limits in doing what you're doing. Goal set to move up limits.

You may also not fully understand the signifigance of a working bankroll to play with. Do you like busting out and constantly rebuilding with a smaller BR? Doesn't it get old after awhile? Well, it's obvious what you have to do to change that pattern, isn't it? Why pull out enough that you are now under a 300-500bb roll?

Maybe you also haven't gone on an extended losing streak to realize why we keep that big a roll. It's common that many don't really understand that until you've gone through it. Sometimes multiple times.

Why not just pull a certain percentage out every month? Like 10-25% instead of the greater portion of your roll.

Just some ideas...

b