View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Tough Excel Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You could create a fourth column that is the combination of the first two and do a VLOOKUP on that column. Am I misunderstanding your question?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister is having this problem. The first column is actualy tubing outside diamter (e.g. 0.25 inches) and the 2nd column isn't letters, it's tubing guage (e.g. "20" guage). So if we made a 4th column and combined them, it would look like 0.2520 which doesn't make sense.

She wants the values in column A and B to be user inputed and have it spit out the corresponding C column value.

This is a real pain.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't have to make sense, it will still work. Let's say you add a column that concatenates the contents of cell A2 [i.e. .25] and the contents of cell B2 [i.e. 20] as ".25/20" [The formula would read =concatenate(a2&"/"&b2)]

You could have the user input the value they need [.25/20] into another cell, say G2, and in G3 you have the formula =vlookup(G2,table_array,4,FALSE) to return the required value. The user would just have to know the correct syntax, i.e. outside diameter/guage.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I sent her. She said she'll use this unless she could find a better version. She really wanted the user to have to enter "0.25" in 1 box and "20" in another box then have it return the value but entering 0.25/20 is almost just as good, as long as the user inputs the values in the right format.

Thanks for everyone's help!

[/ QUOTE ]
What she wants to do is extremely simple. Just have them type into CellA, say, .25 and CellB, say .4. Then use =VLOOKUP(CellA&"_"&CellB,Array,Column#,FAL SE) if you used my underscore method for your KeyColumn.