View Single Post
Old 08-18-2004, 02:21 AM

Default Re: Should have fired again? Or should have gotten out?

This is really interesting to me. So blinds are 10/15, and its folded to you with 66 on the button with a 1k stack. You are going to be ditching to a substantial reraise, so just dont get involved?

Early on here I may make a small raise to keep the pot small enough that reraising me on a steal isn't worth it.
I'm trying to flop a set, and I want them there when I do, I'm totally disinterested in the 25 chips.

Thats a good point, but I don't understand why there is less risk? Wont you have to commit more of your stack--meaning there is more risk?

I am less likely to be called by a mediocre hand at the higher limits, and only need to get away with it once, the first part of this statement means that my EV chip-wise goes up, the second part is neccessary to balance the larger raise.
There is also the chance that there will be four players left which further enhances the likelihood of success.

Fair enough. If you could take the time to explain to me how this specific stack, vs. say a 2k stack or a 5k stack, would change your PF decision it would be great. I am raising 3xBB with any stack over 10xBB, and with 10xBB or less I'm all-in. What do you think of a line like that

a 2k stack and I'm in there fighting, I have to pull away from the other two shorter stacks, and my gameplan is not to win this thing, but to escape from the 'fold to ruin' trap that is looming.

a 5k stack and I play in a similar manner depending on the chip distribution.

A 6k stack and a level distribution amongst the other players and I'm going to try to win this thing and I'm raising with the intent to cripple everyone as equally as possible so they all end up having to fold into third place.
Sadly this is a rare scenario.

Which is why I would never cite "if he KO's one or two, I'm in the money" as a reason not to be aggressive and to steal. I don't think passing on +EV plays, which raising with A8o in this spot is in my book, is good

Financially I don't think it is +EV, I think that I lose more actual $$ when I lose than actual $$ when I win due to my current status of looking very likely to reach the final two.
I consider it like a long distance race where I'm taking a breather to conserve energy for the finishing line.

I am raising 3xBB with any stack over 10xBB, and with 10xBB or less I'm all-in. What do you think of a line like that?

I think I would need under 7BB to go all in here, I'll find a hand around the same level as A8 in the next six hands, I can wait a round.

Which is why I would never cite "if he KO's one or two, I'm in the money" as a reason not to be aggressive and to steal

It's the combination of an almost forced result. The part you quote on it's own is not good enough, but if someone takes some off him, I also like things a lot more.

I don't think passing on +EV plays, which raising with A8o in this spot is in my book, is good. And I definitely think that playing for the other big stack to knock out a few isn't good. I don't make assumptions like this, and I would like to maintain my stack or increase it steadily. Passing on this spot is too tight

It's early, I want to see what happens, I'll force the action when I know what it is and who's making the running.
If the big stack starts to bully them, then that's great, I may catch him myself, and if not I'll probably get heads up about 2.5-1 down or so.
He may also go into lock down mode himself, in which case I'll steal with anything that looks half playable at a later stage.
I'm in a position to win this thing, I don't want to be hasty.
I want to react to them, not the other way around.

I think this depends where you are in a MTT, but I could be wrong.

Agree entirely.

Lori