Thread: A JJ hand
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: A JJ hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That may be weak tight, but w/ a smooth caller

[/ QUOTE ]

There was nothing smooth about this caller.

[ QUOTE ]
I still think you have a chance to fold a weak ace by betting out,

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He has 700 left at the 100 blind level. If he called off 30% of his stack with A rag I dont think he plans on check folding an A high flop. I mean, funnier things have happen, but...

[ QUOTE ]
and I'm not calling a push on the turn after checking the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come to think of it, I've always been shaky about the term "smooth caller", I always thought it meant just calling when you have a good hand, could I get some elaboration, Elaboration? Also, generally what you mean by this comment too.

I mean, I guess I bascially see this hand as having two approaches, betting now in hopes of taking it down right now, or check/folding to the inevitable push/bet (which if he bets, you have to either fold or raise/push for the rest of his chips, I seriously doubt he bets enough for check/calling down to be a real option). On the flop, I see very little chance of getting a showdown for cheap, and I see those are really the only two viable options.

I'm personally inclined to take the first approach, because yeah, I've definatly seen idiots call PF and then fold. Villian could have called w/ a low pair, KQ, KJ, JT (though I realize a jack is unlikely), or sometimes just any two. People just don't like giving up their blinds to what looks like a steal.

This is an ugly situation to be in, but I think that I have to at least take a chance to take this pot right now, rather than give it up to a turn push.