View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: I think that I don\'t raise often enough...

I've been in this situation many times before. Here's how I've worked things out, after much trial and ERROR:

On the flop, when the opponent bets the flop (say 2/3 or pot sized bet, like your examples) I ask myself this: if I call this flop bet and he makes a similar bet on the turn, am I likely to call that turn bet also?

If the answer is yes, then I raise on the flop. This approach is primarily based on the adage "two ways to win the pot by betting, only one way to win the pot by calling," combined with the knowledge that those chips are probably going into the pot on the turn, anyway.

This has the general effect of ramping up your aggression, and letting the table know that they will regularly face a raise when they lead with the "standard" bet.

The answer to my critical question on the flop may depend on many variables, which you are already assessing:
--what does he have
--what does he think I have
--what cards on the turn will make me abandon ship, strengthen my hand, or make no difference in my position.

If, on balance, I would find myself likely wanting to call or raise on the turn, then I will use those chips to make a raise on the flop. Self-taught lesson in post-flop aggression. I can vividly remember several pots where, if I had simply raised on the flop, rather than calling the flop, turn, I would have immediately taken it down.