View Single Post
Old 09-12-2005, 02:03 PM

Default I think that I don\'t raise often enough...

I am primarily a limit player but have been playing some more NL as of late thanks to the popularity of some bigger live games (5/10 & 10/20) local to me with regular terrible players. I do quite well in these games by semi-nut-peddling but I would like to squeeze out some more money if I can.

I am not going to give much of a read on these hands, and I realize that everything is situational but I want to make sure I am thinking about the right things. All action and stack sizes will be listed in BBs.

Hand 1, 8-handed:
Aggressive player (150BB stack) opens to 5 BB from EP, I (125BB stack) call in LP. with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Aggro bets the pot. I call.

Hand 2, 7-handed:
Decent player (100BB stack) opens to 4 BB from EP, I (110BB stack) call in LP. with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
EP bets the pot. I call.

Hand 3, 9-handed:
Very Aggro player (will make bets/raises on every street with good hands and bluffs alike if he senses weakness, 70BB stack) opens to 4 BB from EP, Passive MP (100 BB) calls. I (130 BB stack) call in LP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)
EP bets the pot. MP folds. I call.

OK. Pros and cons to raising:

Pros:
- I probably have the best hand
- Take down the pot immediately and deny a free overcard
- Might not have to face a big 2nd barrell on the turn if I show weakness by just calling now
- Masks my bluffs and semi-bluffs since I am raising with made hands as well.

Cons:
- *** Will rarely get called by worse hands. In limit poker, hands like naked overcards will peel the flop and might even peel the turn. In NL this does not seem to be the case.... or am I giving my opponents too much credit? *** This is a big sticking point for me.
- Makes the pot bigger with a weak hand.
- I don't really define my hand vs. an aggro player who might 3-bet light.
- Should I really be that worried about a 6-outer?
- Deny myself a chance to spike my own outs if I get 3-bet by an overpair.

Sorry if this is a lot. But, sadly I am struggling to apply a very basic poker concept like raising to a different form of poker. I have a feeling I am over-complicating things for myself.

Thanks in advance,
tpir