Thread: MP3 Woes
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2005, 10:50 AM

Default MP3 Woes

I have a very large MP3 collection that I've built over the past several years. I have meticulously maintained the ID3 tags the way that I want them. I recently purchased a Portable Media Center, which is absolutely perfect for me. I can sync it to my desktop computer, plug it into my car stereo on my way to work, unhook it, bring it to my desk and listen for 8 hours, then do the reverse.

The problem: it has a lot of features that essentially rely on Windows Media Player. Up to this point I have HATED WMP. I've been a Winamp user since Day 1. So, in this new found light, I decided to investigate WMP and found that I still don't like it...but it might be worth the switch.

My question list:

1.) How do I get album art for several thousand songs, in the most efficient way possible? I've ripped all of my songs from CDs using Winamp Pro, so I have MP3s that don't have any "extended" information (album art, etc.) and I've changed a lot of the ID3 tags the way I want(ed) them. I'd prefer to leave everything the same and just find the album art, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

2.) I have organized my MP3s into folders by Genre, not by artist. I don't have any albums broken down...and a lot of my tracks only have the artist/track name, no album info. From what I can gather, album art goes by folder, not by actual files. Is this correct? If so, how do I easily get my tracks into the Artist/Album/Track Name format...especially when a lot of the CDs are now missing. I don't want to do this entirely manually.

3.) I assume when I'm editing the information for an MP3 track in the WMP interface, that's changing the ID3 tags? I do like the fact that I can select an entire group of files and change the Genre, or the Artist, or whatever.