View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 06:45 AM

Default Re: How much information about poker strategy is really available?

Interesting post. You sound sort of paranoid.

I think one of the problems relates to very strong players and their attentiveness.

Players may look (on purpose or otherwise) a certain way when engaging in particular types of plays. When they perform a certain type of play
(say a probe bet slow play with a really strong hand, for instance), they don't want to give away what cards they have if they don't have to. If they do, it will make it easy
for the top players (who are all super attentive to details) to play against them.

That's one problem.

Another one is that they don't wish to share trade secrets. Many of the best books that have come out were so groundbreaking
because they shared some of these trade secrets. TOP is a perfect example of this sort of book. I think HoH, especially the second volume is another example, particularly from the buzz I've heard about it. I've read both volumes and did find information in there I'd never previously encountered, not that there's a lot out there on NL tournament poker.

I get the sense that most of the information is out there if you keep reading and seeking it out. The ability to successfully apply that information
is something else entirely. That's where experience comes in.

As for Gus, he's hinted in the past that he uses combinations to determine how to act in a certain hand. He also says he has a book in the works to explain his play to people that just think he's simply a maniac.

If you keep searching, I thin you can find new concepts and plays. I just (a bit to my surprise) came across the action bluff recently in 2+2 magazine. I'd never heard of it, but it makes perfect sense.

Another part of this is that Daniel is pretty secretive in general and relies on his trickier to perform well against top opponents. His small bet against Freddy Deeb which looked like he was only trying to extract a few more chips and his poor reraise against Erick Lindgren (which worked well because Erick assumed he wouldn't do a play that foolish) are two examples that jump immediately to mind. Those plays are mentioned in the recent New Yorker article about poker.

I'm very interested to hear what other people say on this topic.