View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Link to World Cup Draw information

Here's a few random thoughts.

Sven Goran Erikkson (England manager), wants to avoid Australia (url=http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=332750&CPID=4&CLID=&lid= 13&title=Eriksson+keen+to+avoid+Aussies&ch annel=world_cup]here's full text from skysports[/url]) due to the rivalrly between the two. I agree with this, a team being put in your group that will play harder against you than the other teams is a big deal. While they were very good in general, I felt the same way about Senegal being in the same group as France. That also is what would happen if the US faced Iran so to the extent that I'm cheering for the US, I'm glad we're in the same pot as them.

I think people are underestimating Spain. Spain are a very good team. They haven't ever won the world cup finals but have very good players and what many consider to be the best domestic league in the world. Both Spain and the Netherlands have a long, storied history of choking in the world cup though.

Something very cool about this draw is that it will basically guarantee that two very weak teams are in the same group. On one hand it can be bad as the other two teams have a cakewalk through to the next round but it's good to see small countries have some success, and people from those countries go crazy if they win a match even if they finish bottom of their group. I'd like to see T&T match up with either Ivory Coast or Togo.