View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Line Check - 99 in the SB

i dont really get it.

you overbet the flop for some reason on a very non-threatening board with only a very specific couple hands that you could be forcing to draw incorrectly.

then you hugely overbet the turn when the only hands that are calling you are an overpair, a 4, a FH, or a straight.

im not sure what to say here. dont play it this way.

first off, you could fold preflop. but you guys are probably deep enough that calling here is ok.

secondly, you need to bear in mind that you are first to act on every street. so slow down.

on the flop, why did you bet so much? we talk a lot on this board about not playing big pots out of position. when you bet the flop like that, it's the classic "win a small pot or lose a big one" line.

instead, fire out a bet of something like 2/3 pot. you have a strong hand, but MP1 raised with something, and you'd like to have a better idea of what before you go blindly firing chips into the pot.

on the turn, i like a check. there's just no reason to blindly stick all your chips in without even thinking of what BB might have called you with on the flop here. the only hands that you're beating on the turn that he might POSSIBLY call with here are A5, 66, 77. That is an incredibly small hand range, and doesn't pay you off enough to justify going broke against the hands that are beating you on the turn (any overpair, 55, 88, 67, A4).

i think if you check the turn, one of a few things can happen: (1) if villian's bet size/timing convinces you that you have him beat, you can call and see a river. there's no draw here that you are "letting off for cheap"; (2) villian will check it through sometimes, allowing you to check/call the river for relatively cheap; or (3) villian will bet, you will decide you are beat and fold. the good thing about (3) is there just aren't enough hands he called with on the flop that are bluffing you off of the best hand here on the turn -- villian didn't call with AK on the flop.

anyway, this post kinda got out of control. just slow down.