View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Did I deserve to be berated for this play?

In a 10+1 last night on PS.
Some history: Most of the table has been here since early in the tourney, except for some replacements that came in...
I had been playing solid, selectively aggressive poker. That is until like a complete bonehead overplayed AK and blow nearly my whole above average stack running into a set of 10's.

After getting knocked down to below 1k with I think 100/200 blinds, I played solid Laggy poker and got back to a 15K stack. The Big stack in this hand was the only other aggressive player at the table. He witnessed my rise, fall and rise, and was impressed with my play and luck. Tourney leader at the time was about 35K, avg Stack maybe 10K (could be wrong on this). We were at the stage in the tourney before the bubble (probably about 50 to go b4 the weak money). Short stacks were getting looser, pf play was fairly tight. This was the time to build a stack.

Bringing us to this hand....

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (9 handed) converter

SB (t15428)
BB (t3379)
Hero (t15377)
UTG+1 (t4862)
MP1 (t3704)
MP2 (t7128)
MP3 (t1907)
CO (t17433)
Button (t26140)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1200</font>,
Figured I would try an early position steal with my small PP
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t4837</font>,

Short stack raises all-in, I was fine calling that as he could be on AK - A9os, AXs, or any PP chance to build, limited downside.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t4837,
Uh OH the other aggressive player calls this. I thought if he were really strong he would raise. Why take a large PP 3 way? I only called just in case. Figured with the pot about 12K before my 3.6K call I was getting too good odds to pass up, especially with the implied odds if I hit. I called

<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t3637.

Flop: (t14686) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets t12571 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t10515 (All-In). Couldn't have asked for anything better.

Turn: (t37772) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t37772) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t37772

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 5d 5h (three of a kind, fives).
UTG+1 has As Qc (one pair, aces).
CO has Kd Kc (one pair, kings).
Outcome: Hero wins t35716. CO wins t2056. </font>

I was now tourney leader. I was now berrated by several people at the table including the 8 seat former table leader. Although I shouldn't have engaged, I tried explaining my reasoning which just made the berrating worse. The cutoff had nothing bad to say.

My problem in tourney's is not lack of selective aggression. It is not being to loose or too tight, It is not a lack of stealing or exploiting. I usually lose patience and fail to protect a big stack. I will eventually make a bad move/call or get trapped.

Is this hand an example of a LAG that should have blown a healthy stack again, or of solid poker? If the Cutoff reraised, I was gone that hand. I do make laydowns, but I do get stupid.