View Single Post
Old 09-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Another Question For Protestants

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is the Catholic Church's teacing on how Old Testament saints are saved?

[/ QUOTE ]

What you said partially. But that would conflict with what many protestants believe regarding salvation especially those whose doctrines are strongly influenced by Calvin. Since I have not noticed you in some of our other threads on this then I will ask you the New Guinea question.

Could a man living in New Guinea and who died 1 year after the death of Christ and who absolutely could not have heard the gospel preached possibly have been saved?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of you dismissing me entirely...
Assuming that the New Guinea man has no knowledge of the teaching of John the Baptist, the nation of Israel, the Old Testament or the God of Abraham, then no there is no possibility of him being saved. I'll elaborate if need be, but I suspect this answer is probably enough to get on your "I'm not regarding this person" list.

[ QUOTE ]
I also note that your answer to my first question did not really address the question as written, so go back and read it again and respond accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I did not address the question as written, though I stand by my citation of the parable of the building as relevant. Regarding the judgement of their christian teachings, I would say with a fairly substantial degree of confidence that any man who has written at the length that Calvin and Aquinas did are almost certain to make errors at points in their doctrine. I am no expert on either man, but I think that is a fair statement. Unless a man is carried along by the spirit of God as the biblical writers were when they penned the words of scripture, it would be irresponsible in my view to attribute infallability to their teaching.

Like any good protestant I hold scripture to be the sole infallible rule of faith and doctrine.

[ QUOTE ]

(If you stand by your answers to that question then it follows that you do not consider God's word rendered void by a situation where his word is not accurately preached 100% in its entireity by at least one denomination at every point in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not entirely sure what you are getting at, but I believe the teaching of the apostles to be preached 100% accurately as found in the pages of scripture (I'm sure you'll agree with this).

At the same time, if I preach a message that displays the glories of Christ but I miss a point of doctrine and fumble God's word at points, God is still at liberty to use the *truth*, not the error that I preach to draw sinners to himself.

[ QUOTE ]
And if you don't agree that such a conclusion follows then I probably won't respond to you in the future as I am not regarding two other posters since such a belief is a very big logical contortion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm eager to see if I have failed your test.