View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Who do You Believe, Phil Hellmuth or ESPN?

This afternoon at the bookstore, I began skimming through "Bad Beats and Lucky Draws" by Phil Hellmuth. First, let me say if you enjoy reading trip reports and hand analysis from top players as I do, this book seems worth the $15 cover price. It may not improve your game at all, but seems like an enjoyable read.

In one section, Hellmuth describes his down fall at the 2003 WSOP Main Event. He describes the hand thats was shown on ESPN away from the feature table were Sammy Farha's QJ of diamonds made a flush on the turn. Hellmuth says he had KQ, ESPN shows Phil's cards as AK (the actual cards were never shown).

What Phil's kicker was is meaningless in this hand as he flopped top pair, good kicker with the King. I just point out this hand to add to the theory that ESPN's hands aren't always 100% accurate, especially away from the feature table.

One hand in this years main event that I am really curious on was between Marcel Luske and Josh Arieh. I don't remember the hand details, but Luske made a set of Aces on the river and showed them. The part that made me scratch my head was Arieh supposedly had 2 pair, and folded immediatley when Luske bet the river ace.