View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Recognizing good 2nd best hands...

Hey krishan,

I like the theme of your post.

Hand1:
I think you need to put another raise in hand1, I prefer to do it on the turn b/c with all the calling button's been doing he's either on a big draw(FD etc) or a slowplayed hand like a straight or some-such, either way he's not folding often after already calling 2 cold on the turn.

This hand is the opposite of hand 2...here we have very little info from preflop - an MP open-raise from a 40/10 can be a surprising array of hands, though some should be weighted more than others. He could bet-call, raise, a wider range(Ax of many varieties, straight, KT-KQ, QQ) so the relatively tight (AA, AK) range we're behind isn't as worrisome as it is in hand 2, where his whole range is very tight b/c of preflop. The 3rd player does good things for our equity as he is usually drawing dead/slim(though he doesn't know it) and slowing down would be more of a concern HU.

Hand2:
While my aggroHUSHSelf wants to keep shoveling bets in I need to recognize what is painfully clear - the 3 combinations of AA are the most likely hand because of weighting...I think he'd raise-4bet AJ ~35% of the time pf. I'd say ~10-15% for 77, ~20% for 99. AK is likely preflop, but needs to be discounted severely b/c of the exessive turn action. We're left with a lot of "he might have that" type hands that are heavily discounted, with the obvious AA looming over them all. The heads-up nature of the hand makes our big-street mistakes more costly and I think you get 3bet on the river here often. Nh.

Hand3:
I 3bet this flop. I'd be more interested in a smoothcall-cr if A) our hand was a little stronger (no made straight?) B) there were more opponents to draw equity from. It's cheaper to go extra bets on the small streets and I get to decide if I want to put extra bets in if I fill up.

Surf