View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: $55 preflop level 1

If you are going to make your hand, you want as much money in the pot as possible.

If you are going to miss your hand, you want him to fold.

At this point, you don't yet know.

I think there is a better option than pushing. Remember that sometimes you can manufacture folding equity through bet size manipulation. In other words, when the stacks are short and you can't make an opponent's call too expensive relative to the size of the pot... you can sometimes use a betting sequence that convinces him it's not even worth calling a few extra chips.

This is a concept that I use a lot in SNGs. My hand is too strong to fold, but I'm not yet sure whether I would rather my opponent fold or call all-in. So, even though my stack is too short to theoretically do much about it... I will make a small raise or min-raise on the flop. If he pushes, fine. If he folds... whatever. But usually he will call because I am laying him such a great price. Maybe he can make trips or something, right? Then If I miss the turn, I can sometimes buy the pot with a peculiar non-all-in bet. If an opponent sees you min-raise him on the flop, and then bet 2/3 of your short stack on the turn... he will be convinced that you are trying to milk him. If, on the other hand, I make my hand on the turn, I can check behind and induce an all-in bluff on the river.

Irieguy