View Single Post
Old 08-27-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Stopping a leak.

[ QUOTE ]

Trip 4s in a raised pot and aces up would not be real obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aces up would definately be your best hopes if winning a big pot

Trips fours mite not be too apparent at first, but the astute player should be able to figure it out before he hoofs all of his stack in the middle

Then again, if I have AA and the board is 44x.. I cant say that it strikes too much fear in me, although at some stage i'd try and excercise some form of pot control (if allowed) and get to showdown a little cheaper.

I dont think the odds of making trips/2 pair on the flop (as it will have to be a flopped hand, no excuse for trying to make it on the turn/river) justify the call.

In general, people tend to over-estimate the liklihood of getting someones stack when they DO hit these dream flops, in order to justify the call.

The deeper the stacks, the more justification naturally.

Also with regard to the *second best hand* comment earlier, i'd have to include a flush draw in that equation. Apart from misplaying a weak-ace when an ace flops, mis-playing a flush draw is also a chip-burner.

The higher the degree of skill, the easier it is to play these hands... but I think most people credit themselves with more skill/discipline then they really have, (I know I certainly do) so I tend to shy away from these scenarios to a degree.