View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Easy check

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think LP's are putting their opponents on hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. It's been a while since I've frequented SS.

[ QUOTE ]
on that board a pair of 6's doesn't look very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but since when do 1/2 players fold just because they're about to lose. Low limit games are full of people who call down 'just in case'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that they're calling when they percieve that they have some chance to suck out. I don't know what the psychological reason is, but it seems that bad players really enjoy taking a weak hand and having it pull ahead of a strong one. Then they get to the river and call one more "just in case".

A perfect example of this is how profitable it is to continue semi-bluffing when the top card pairs:

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.5 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

You will find ALOT of folds from your opponents in this situation. Either that or a check-raise which you can safely fold to (Another example of it being right to bet because you can safely fold to a check-raise).

When the flop comes they think "he probably has a K, but I can get two pair or three of a kind to beat him", but when the turn card comes, they now think "Oh man, he's got 3 kings, I'm done."

The hand Emmit posted is different -- but most fish aren't nuanced enough to realize it. They don't eliminate a 6 from your possible holdings because they're not really using much logic, they're just assuming your strong because you've been betting the whole time, and the easiest hand to put someone on who apears strong on this board is a straight.

There being alot of villians here also helps us because the first guy to act after Hero bets is probably vaugely aware that someone behind him might have a straight. Compound that with the fact that Hero's been pounding on him the entire hand, and he'll probably decide that his pair isn't worth continuing with.