View Single Post
Old 11-30-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: 3/6 turn play - was I a donk for pushing a draw?

[ QUOTE ]
Given how u played the flop, the turn push is fine. However, I think betting the flop was bad. Since it was 5 handed, you are not going to get everyone to fold. Either hope for a free card or check raise all-in if the button bets. The ideal situation is if the button makes a ghey-bet, one or two other people call, and you can push with a huge draw and a lot of dead money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will frequently pick up the pot on the flop because this is not a board that hits many hands very hard, the preflop raiser checked (no overpair there), and you show a lot of strength to bet into so many opponents. Furthermore, you have an advantage in pot equity against anything but a set, and the ability to take a free card on the turn against an opponent that has some sort of a hand is much more valuable than taking a free card on the flop and then facing a bet on the turn when you no longer have a pot equity advantage, and you don't know if your opponent has enough of a hand to pay you off if you hit.

I don't understand why you would try to checkraise the button on the flop; that line looks horribly suspicious and is not going to be very effective as a bluff. All your outs would still make it +EV, but I can't see how it would end up being better than simply betting in the first place.