View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Experiences with Fasting

[ QUOTE ]
i think reading about this stuff before you do it is just going to put an idea of what you want it to be in your head before you do it, robbing you of the genuine experience. that is why i hate when people talk about calebrities or what some zen master said. just do your own thing, without expecations and see what comes of it.

ps: i love the toaist story.

[/ QUOTE ]

"My understanding of Zen or Buddhism is that you cannot expect anything from any situation. Most things can't be gauged, because nothing is constant. I am not saying I believe this, but just letting you know that Zen has some of the same ideas you have. "

maybe kane, interesting point. but i would interpet what craig wrote differently. the act of fasting will not mean much in itself, it will just make me hungry and upset. for it to mean anything i have to know why other people do it, what the ideas are behind it - to add this meaning on my own. and, even the act of fasting itself would not happen itself unless other people hadn't given me this idea. so if i'm going to follow their idea doesn't it make sense to know what their ideas behind it are?