View Single Post
Old 07-15-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: When something doesn\'t \"feel\" quite right

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this guy isn't a complete maniac, I raise the turn and check the river unimproved. I like this move, because I have a little more fold equity with the turn raise and it costs the same to see a showdown. If I think this guy is capable of bluff 3-betting me on the turn, I'd just call down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this line as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It can be good. I don't think I like it here.

Raising for a free showdown can be good when,

1. You might get a better hand to fold. Generally this means someone has a pair better than yours.
2. You might be ahead. This is really important since if you aren't ahead putting extra bets in sucks.
3. You don't have a lot of draws. There are times where a free showdown raise is good also with a draw, but by default it's better without. This is because you don't want to pay 3-bets with a decent draw. (Decent is 5 outs or more)
4. Your opponent can't be capable of a bluff 3-bet. If he is, bet-fold lines are too risky.
5. Your opponent might be on a draw. Charge him.

In this particular hand, I don't like a turn raise for a free showdown. Here are the reasons.

1. We might get him to fold a better hand but it's very unlikely. The reason is he 3-bet the flop on a paired board. This means a really large % of the time he is going to showdown with either a pp or a king.

2. This is the crux of the issue. I don't think you are ahead often enough to put bets in here. Most of the time this line is used in a spot where you have a decent chance at being ahead and the chance of a 3-bet is pretty low. Because the 3-bet doesn't come often you can fold to it pretty easily. This also combines with point 4.

3. We have a 2-outer. No shame in folding two outs if we are behind.

4. Villian bet-3bet an uncoordinated paired flop. This isn't the standard line with trips but we can't rule out a king. Hero had a read that Villian was pretty fancy and could get out of line with a 3. This is exactly the kind of opponent that could bluff-3bet the turn. (I include 3-betting with a 3 in this category). Given the action I expect to get 3-bet a LOT here.

5. There are no draws. Make raising for a free showdown less favorable.

One other non-favorable factor is if he is on a bluff, he will often bluff the river. So when you raise for a free showdown, all you are really doing is winning the same 2 bets. (Unless he folds his bluff on the turn, then you win 1 less)

I think Hero played this hand to perfection.

Krishan