View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: What\'s this Poker Players Alliance party wants us to join?

[ QUOTE ]
I believe Linda Johnson and Jan Fisher are part of the PokerPlayerAlliance supporters or founders.

There is another place to put money that may be worthwhile if you are interested in legal online poker in the USA. Rep. Jim Kasper from North Dakota is not only working to get online poker legal, he is aware of the need to get the IRS to effectively allow "netting" poker wins and losses so you don't run into the alternative minimum tax and lose out on standard deductions and also possibly end up losing at poker and having to pay tax on "winnings."

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an "audit" accountant in a firm that has both audit and tax practices. Here in Memphis (with our close proximity to Tunica as well as a state lottery) we deal with a lot of recreational players as well. This would really, really benefit all the amatuer players of all types out there. Even slot players sometimes hit a big jackpot and have a winning year as a result so the number of people that this potentially affects is quite large. This is a big deal and I think that, if possible, we should direct a player's organization in this area as well. Obviously, the PPA might not be the forum for that, but it could well morph into that as well. It would really be nice to be able to log into a member's section and discuss issues and take votes on what is and isn't important to the player base.

Positive tax legislation in this manner would provide an indirect benefit as well in that it would serve to keep more money in the poker economy. After all, low-limit donks win tournaments and hit jackpots on slot machines too. All of this money has a greater chance of staying in poker if it doesn't go to the government.