Thread: Bubble trouble
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Bubble trouble

It was a good hand to see a flop on, with expectancy at +29% against a random hand (6-handed). But the flop reduced this hand significantly. Treating your K8s simply as K8, because all advantages of suit-ability were gone once the flop was displayed, reduces expectancy to +4% against a random board. But, of course, the flop isn't a random board at all, and is essentially hostile to your hand. Prospects for winning at showdown are quite remote. Of course you could get trip 8s or trip Ks, and the probability of either is very low. Gee, with exactly 2 of the right cards you could have a straight ("Whew, is that all the prospects I have?").

The other side of the coin dwells on what your opponent has. Opponent might have trips already, especially given that the board pairs on the flop. Your opponent probably has
2 pairs already, and might have a 4-flush after the flop, or a straight draw. If he has draw prospects only, and fails to hit it, of course your K high wins, providing he doesn't have you beat on that score too!

If you chose to bluff, the time to do it is when the flops shows, and then simply go all-in. That's a strong flop for the right hand, unfortunately not yours!

The above remarks are different than what most will make, simply because I've spent a week not playing poker, because I was working on hand strengths and opening hand tables, preparatory to playing 6-handed NL HE. I don't claim to be widely read concerning poker, but a preoccupation with hand strengths of hole cards isn't a very common thing in what I've read. Mostly folks select an opening hand table from a book, and then they discover it very useful for their play.

Creation of opening hand tables for 6-handed is the focus of what I'd done this past week, and Saturday I played 207 hands at several tables. My experiences doing that will be put into a separate post, but I ended up winning after a roller coaster bankroll move!

Dave

PS: Although you've presented all info needed to explore your hand, it requires many deductions on the part of the reader concerning what happened. Personally, I used Bison hand converter recently, and found it less than useless. In particular, the hand I wanted to present here had 3 players all-in (including me), and Bison got it wrong by putting the smallest all-in stack into the side pot against the Villain, and Villain won that money. However, I think Bison would have gotten your hand correctly, and it would have been easier for the reader to understand what actually happened. So that's my idea for why you're not getting much help on your hand...