Thread: AQ vs. SLAG
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 PM

Default AQ vs. SLAG

Villain is slightly loose, very aggressive (30/20/3.0). He seems to be a solid player who's only weakness is that he goes to showdown just a bit too often (27%).

I, on the other hand, am in the middle of what will turn to be one of my worst down-swings ever. For the last 300 hands or so on this table I've only been flopping weak-marginal hands or draws which don't come in. As a result, I've been forced to fold to aggression much more than I like, and my table image is probably tight-weak. I'm fairly certain the fish are taking shots at me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($242)
BB ($198)
UTG ($200)
MP ($375.40)
Hero ($197)
Button ($194)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP calls $8.

Flop: ($27) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, MP calls $20.

Turn: ($67) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: ($67) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $137

In hind-sight I think the check-through on the turn was a mistake. I'll admit that when this hand played out, I didn't see the straight draw, although I have to say that even if I saw it, I'm not sure that J8 is in villain's range of raising hands.

On the river, given my table image and villain's aggression, I think the call is manditory, and I might even allow myself to be convinced that a raise is better.

So, how should I have really played this?