View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 10:51 AM

Default Re: AFI\'s 100 greatest movie quotes

[ QUOTE ]
But they included a line that we had all forgotten:

"I have come here to chew bubblegum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum."

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't forgotten that one; that's always been one of my favorites. You can still use it sometimes, because plenty of people haven't heard it; still gets a laugh.

You're right about lots of the lines being crap. I think they thought of famous scenes that would look good in a program that could be used to sell commercials, which also happened to have some lines that people would recognize, not that were necessarly memorable. It seems to me that's the only way they could have included some very mediocre lines in there that were attached to salable scenes people would recognize. That would explain why so many of the lines are from relatively new-ish movies -- they wanted audience recognition more than really good writing or deliveries.

Like could you imagine "Good Morning Vietnam!" could possibly be considered one of the best movie quotes of all time? Nah, that was put in there just so they could consider putting in everyone's favorite(yawn) "genius," Robin Williams -- always good for a laugh, eh? I can just see the marketing guys figuring out his TVQ and how to fill out a segment, and then saying, "Williams - let's get a crazy guy like him to beef up this segment! He must have said something funny and memorable once, right?"