View Single Post
Old 10-29-2005, 08:41 PM

Default (Home Game) How to play a short stack against weak players ??

for whatever reason (variance or whatever) i've run in this situation alot over the last month or so. Normally when your short stacked you wanna pick a hand go all in and then double to have chance to win or bust.

Keep in my this post only deals with situations where your short stacked and playing with weak players or have a weak player in the BB.

I'm beggining to wonder if this is the best strategy against really bad players. Say your short stacked and you pick up A8s. if the blinds are getting up there you would consider moving in with this hand especially if the table is short handed. But your playing againts bad players (oh ! i have 2 face cards, i call) Your pushing a small edge against a really weak player. If your not dominated and have the best hand (i'm not talking a Pocket pairs these are easy to play) your at best a 60-40 favorite.

I'm wondering if calling with the intention of moving in the flop no matter what is a better play against this type of player. Normally these players play loose preflop but can't play post flop at all. The odds of one of these players missing the flop is about 68%. So your picking up about an 8% advantage by waiting to see the flop (of course if the other hits the flop your dead, but you would've lost no matter what)
Against this type of player you have no fold equity preflop but have some post flop. Granted your not accomplishing your task of doubling up but if you applied this strategy successfully 2 or 3 times you could be in decent shape.

Wondering what everyone's thought are. am i way of base here?