Thread: Poker AI
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2003, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Poker AI

I'm a Computer Science student at Carnegie Mellon. I am 100% positive an AI poker player could be written to consistenly beat a LLHE game, and what's more, could be written relatively easily. Here is why:

We all seem to be forgetting the FTOP (which I'll reinterpret for the sake of this thread) At any point in a hand, there is a play that is absolutley the correct play Only knowing the other players' cards prevent us from making this play every time. In other words, a lack of information. If a bot were able to catalog the play of a large number of players in a meaningful way (which it easily could) it would be better suited than any human player to determine the correct play. Remember, most opponents in LLHE do not vary their play enough not to be easily read, if you are willing to pay enough attention. Everything else is just programming heurisitic rules, and this is the simplest form of AI.

Anyone who thinks that the processing power doesn't exist for this is out of their mind. I'm sure a program such as the one described above could easily run on a 500mhz pentium with 64m RAM. In fact, I had a highschool programming project to create an AI hearts player, and it was easy to make it able to beat most human opponents. Those were run on a system simmilar to the one described above.

Just reading/replying to this thread has almost given me the incentive to write one. Let me reiterate, it's not only possible, it's easy.