View Single Post
Old 09-08-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Working on agression/protection

Thanks for the great discussions folks. I'm attaching the results to this post as it seems to cover the general consensus.

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: When a tight/decent player waits till the turn to raise the preflop raiser on an ace high flop, you are way behind too often to call down. You can consider calling to try for your straight if you have odds, but my plan would be to check/fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian had 55 for a flopped set.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 2: Looks fine. Whether you won or lost this hand is irrelevant. I would tend to bet the river unless you think there's a good chance checking will induce a bluff. If you bet you'll be called by a 3/5/6/8 so there's plenty of value in a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian had QT for a better kicker.

[ QUOTE ]

Hand 3: You should almost never open limp in this situation. The exception to limping on the button is on page 197 in HEPFAP "When the blinds are loose". But 77 is still strong enough to raise even in that situation (that's more for hands like 22 and A6o). Pretty much anything you play when you are the first one in the pot in CO or on the button you should raise if there is any chance of the blinds folding (even as little as 30%). Even when they call, you'll often win with a flop bet if the board comes Axx because your opponents will assume you have the ace.

If you limp, you're giving them a free/discounted chance to beat you (and a hand like 98o would fold in the SB for a raise but often complete). Your hand isn't strong enough to take this kind of competition so go ahead and raise. I pretty much raise any pair, any ace, most kings and any 2 cards 9 and higher when I'm opening on the button. I also raise suited connectors down to around 76s/T8s. You don't need to raise that much, but considering you will have a positional advantage for the hand and will often win preflop it's worth considering. This is a situation that 6-max play will help you with.

On the flop you should definitely 3-bet. Both of your opponents have shown they like their hands and your coldcall is no less scary than a 3-bet on this board. It's unlikely that it would have changed the outcome, but there's no reason to slowplay when your opponents are being aggressive.

Edit: Good point, bet the flop in hand 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

And, the worst hand of the bunch...villain had 86s for a flopped OESD which came in on the turn. This is the hand that likely would have folded to a pre-flop bet (wouldn't have after).